Pat Farrell;224387 Wrote:
> 4mula1 wrote:[color=blue]
> Microwave ovens use 2.4gHz because that is a frequency the resonates
> the bond between the hydrogen and oxygen atoms in water. So it makes
> things cook fast.

Sigh...  When will this myth get stamped out.  2.4 GHz is not any exact
bond resonant frequency.  The effect of microwaves here is dielectric
heating of any polar molecules.  2.4 GHz was chosen somewhat for
historical reasons by virtue of being an unlicensed industrial
frequency that is a good compromise between absorbtion and penetration
in water/most foods.  It is also capable of being created by magnetrons
and waveguides of a reasonable size for a small appliances.
Commercially there are other frequencies used, I think 900 MHz is one.
Although there are absorbtion peaks for water (again these are not any
unique resonance since there are many different vibration and rotation
modes all "smeared" together in liquid water), one near 3 GHz IIRC and,
as mentioned above, it would actually be undesireable to hit them and
have most of the energy dumped into the outer layers of your food.

--
Daryle Tilroe