nicketynick;220008 Wrote:
> I can't believe (well, I can.....) that the bunch of gear-heads that
> hang around here, and the chief of them all (Sean), also seem to be a
> bunch of dead linguists on the side.
In my day (gosh, that makes me sound old), English was part of the
curriculum, even for gearheads. It was called a rounded education, back
in the day.

And proper plurals in English (at least, as it was taught in Canada)
involved using the foreign plural forms for foreign words, even though
the word was being used in English.

So Latin plurals became English plurals for those words descended from
Latin. In that sense, Latin isn't dead, because it lives onward (at
least parts of it do) in English.

--
Michaelwagner