ejevs;238962 Wrote:
> Thanks for the input.
> I could newer afford a BMW.

Well, the price difference in this case is a hundred bucks not
thousands...

> Musicquality matters, as I intend to use i with a "nice" system

The SB3 easily wins that.

> Display does not (if it did I proberly would get a sonos)
> Opensource matters two (I'm listening to slimserver with softsqueeze
> right now)

It will if you are sitting across the room and trying to squint to read
the display.  The SB3 display is very readable with smoother and larger
fonts (the advantage of having twice as many pixels).

> But to summerize:
> Soundbridge would connect to slimserver for less $ (and a different
> pixelcount in the display),

According to Roku, it would connect to Slimserver version 5.4...  and
even that gets very little support from them and the "Upgrade to the
current version" may or may not work for you, you would get very little
support for that software here....

> but with lesser quality (if high quality source is used). right

Always lesser quality.  You can't just resample music randomly, it
doesn't work.  (You can resample 44.1kHz to 88.2kHz, just interpolate
every other sample, but some people would still have a problem with
that going on in the digital realm...  44.1 to 44.8 is going to lead to
problems.)

> So the main difference is in the quality vs Autonomity (spelling ?)
> and secondary aestetics (squeezebox is nicer).

For you, perhaps... I don't trust the long term support of the
Soundbridge (which has changed software multiple times, from SlimServer
to their own and now with Windows Media Connect/iTunes...).  I dislike
their slow updates (how long did it take for them to support WPA?) and
the tone on their message boards is nowhere at all as nice as here
(despite periodic outbursts, this is a mostly friendly area, especially
if you stay away from the audiophiles section).

> reg. "separate music collections" I did not see that as a problem but
> it is a part of my surpposed use of the box, arer there no serverside
> solutions (must be), eventually slimserver could make a better solution
> where the box get served the sum of collections instead of having the
> user select one or another.

See Erland's MultiLibrary plugin.

(Plugins are a -huge- advantage to SlimServer... and again, Roku only
kind-of-sort-of supports SlimServer with the Soundbridge and even that
is with an ancient version of SlimServer.  So, no, plugins may or not
work with the Soundbridge.)

--
snarlydwarf