slwiser;243175 Wrote:
> They are more likely to be caused by momentary interruptions of the
> streaming of the audio data caused by software/system timing issues.

This comment demonstrates (for a company that makes DACs) either a
startlingly poor understanding of how s/pdif works, or a hopeful
assumption that Squeezebox must be mysteriously different from any
other s/pdif source in the world.

There is nothing that could happen on the data delivery side of things
that would affect the timing or any other performance characteristics
of the s/pdif output. If Squeezebox can't get data from the server it
will simply output digital silence until more data is available. In
that respect it behaves exactly the same as a CD player would when it
encounters a section of the disc it can't read, or when the user jumps
to the next track.

If _I_ were the one admittedly violating the spec, I certainly would
not be so quick to blame the other device!

If you'd like, you can send both products to me for testing. I suspect
that the mean frequencies of the crystals in each device simply differ
by more than the CrystalLock(tm) circuit allows, and that is something
I can easily measure here. Of course you could also just send your unit
in for a hardware swap, although even if that solves the problem it
would not tell us very much.

I would also invite Lavry to participate in this discussion, except
that I know that on other occasions they have been very cagey about
discussing CrystalLock.

--
seanadams