I took my chances and did a fresh systeminstall since the system has
behaved somewhat erratic (and I REALLY wants this to work). What
puzzled me, among others, was that I was presented with no admin pw on
installing SS (neither SC  7.0a for that matter). It didn't happen this
time either thou now i was prompted for an admin pw when changing "Start
server" options - NB. this last time after a total system install I have
only tried to install SS 6.4.1.
These measures didn't move me further much; still a dim Web Access
button :-(  Before this I did plenty of attempts to install, trashing
whatever files in Libraries and in Preferencepanes. Apart from the 23
MB large Log file remaining since installing SS under Tiger (when btw
SS worked) ONLY one file w/o exception has been installed, namely SS or
SC pref panels. No log files!!! This time thou (after a fresh system
install) there is a SS a log file, see below.

Insecure dependency in require while running setuid at ./slimserver.pl
line 84.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./slimserver.pl line 84.

--
igroucho