Since the problem is mainly with internet radio - then the cause is
probably your broadband connection.  Internet radio especially live
streams need a smooth flow of data.  If the flow is lumpy or start/stop
(you can see this when doing a file download) - this has no effect on
browsing or downloads but with live radio some audio packets are
delayed and arrive too late to be played so you get a gap.

I've heard reports of this (especially at peak times) with the 3G (not
ADSL) based broadband services.

The real solution is a better service but a workaround can be better
buffering to smooth out the lumps but this may not always be enough.

With Squeezebox and Slimserver the actions you can take
1. Increase Buffering to say 30 - under Server Setting/Network/Radio
Station Buffering. This will delay when the station starts playing.

2. Make PC and Slimserver do some buffer -
(i) For MP3 streams under Player Settings/Audio change MP3 Streaming to
"Proxied"
(ii) For WMA streams on Windows based Slimserver - uncheck Server
Settings/FileTypes/Windows Media (built-in) and click "change".

Wifi in open country (i.e. no buildings) has a long range.  In Dublin
from the attic I can detect (not use) UCD's wifi network 4 miles away
- line of sight with the UCD's Water Tower which has an access point.

--
bpa