That's exactly what I want! Other than the Roku product, I don't believe
there is anything that will work with Slimserver out there and I agree
with you that Roku's clock radio is unacceptable for a number of
reasons.

Certainly, the simplest approach would be a dedicated Squeezebox
plugged into powered speakers. I agree with you, though, that that
approach isn't clean enough, especially for fumbling around in the dark
when the alarm goes off at 6am.

I'm not much of a hardware hacker, but I am what you would call a
wannabee, so I've started assembling the pieces of my ideal system,
since no manufacturer seems willing to sell me what I want.

1) Amp6 amplifier kit <http://www.41hz.com/> to serve as the
amplifier.

2) Used SB1G or SB2 to take apart (trolling eBay, but hoping prices
will come down after the holidays)

3) Power Supplies (to go 120VAC-->15VDC for Amp6 and then 15VDC-->5VDC
for Squeezebox)

4) Walnut and aluminum for case (I fancy the old KLH aesthetic)

5) 2" extended range drivers for speaker. I probably will mimic the old
KLH builds by including one stereo channel in the clock radio and then
have a satellite speaker to handle the other channel. This could go on
my wife's side of the bed.

My plan is to take apart a squeezebox remote and mount the remote's PCB
inside the clock radio. Buttons mounted on the outside of the case will
be wired to it and it will in turn control the Squeezebox.

The only volume control necessary will be the squeezebox's, but I have
to admit to preferring a big analog knob, so I am not sure if I lock
the SB volume control and just use a potentiometer or whether I will
set the Amp6's output where I want it with a resistor and use the SB to
control volume. It would be nice if the SB was able to control volume,
however, so that I could take advantage of plugins like SleepFade
<http://www.tux.org/~peterw/slim/SleepFade.html>.

I am still in the planning stages and would love to hear from others
who have attempted or contemplated building something similar.

--
benshead