First of all I apologize if this topic has been dealt with before but
whenever I try to do a forum search for more than one keyword at a
time, e.g. for the phase "large music library", the search feature does
not work correctly. Therefore I feel compelled to start a new thread.

So...
First, my setup:

I'm running Slimsever version 6.5.4 on a Dell Dimension 4600 with an
Intel Pentium processor rated 2.40GHz, 1 GB of RAM and Windows XP with
service pack 2.

My music library consists of four external USB hard drives: two 320GB
drives, one 500GB drive and one 1TB drive. The main music folder is on
one of the 320GB drives with shortcuts pointing to the other three
drives. I do not use iTunes.

The format for my music library is rather simple and consists of a
separate folder for each "album" with multi-disc albums treated as one
entry. Each external hard drive has a main music folder with subfolders
for "jazz", "rock", "classical", etc. Within each of these subfolders is
where I place each separate album folder. The vast majority of the music
is stored as either flac or ape files.

My libray stats are approximately 3500 albums, 2500 artists and 93,000
songs.

I am currently using two Squeezeboxes and one Transporter, all
connected to my server wirelessly via a Linksys router. The server (my
PC) is wired to the Linksys router.

Problems:

The response of the server to various commands from any of the
Squeezeboes or the Transporter can vary from reasonably fast to
achingly slow. For example, when adding a new "album" to the library I
use the "browse" command to search through the music folders until I
locate the new album and then play it and each time I try to do this I
end up having to go through the process twice since on the first try
the "browse" command "freezes" at the genre level, i.e. the
jazz/rock/classical subfolder level of a given disc. After a short
pause the server returns to the "now playing" state and if I then run
the browse command again I am then able to scroll through the
jazz/rock/classical subfolder level to the album I am trying to add to
the music library.

This the major problem but at other times the server will momentarily
stop playing, particularly if there is a heavy load being placed on my
computer, e.g. file copying or some other cpu and/or disc intensive
task.

For the most part once an album is playing it will play fine. In
addition, the search command works fine (as in reasonably fast) for
albums or artists but runs super slowly if a I try to search for an
individual song. I also use the lazy search plugin and the search
speeds/responses are the same whether or not I use the lazy search or
the normal search mode.

The web Slimserver interface runs very slowly will not even display my
library if the browse function is set for "albums", however, it will
display when set for "artists".

Finally my questions:

Is the above behavior typical for "large" music libraries? And what
exactly is considered a "large" music library?

Would a faster cpu make Slimserver more responsive?

Would using fewer but larger hard drives make Slimserver more
responsive? For example a single 2TB Drobo.

And finally, would switching to Slimserver 7.0 speed thing up?

Thanks in advance for reading and hopefully responding.

--
ralphpnj