NewBuyer;252887 Wrote:
> Hi aubuti,
>
> 1) This could hopefully be easily selected within the relevant page of
> an enhanced SS (why not?)
>
> 2) The Waveinput plugin itself is already often being used in this way,
> right? The SD Dir of Engineering wrote that people had been requesting
> this for years! It also seems (at least to me) that serving music files
> from an optical-drive platter is just as much "serving", as is serving
> from a hard-drive platter. Users would still serve most music from
> ripped copies on harddrive, but being able to also spin the occasional
> CD on your SS computer would be a function, that more people would
> appreciate than you may think. :)
>
> Honestly, why not enhance SS to do this? And why not also have an
> option to serve the PCM audio to a selected soundcard? Maybe it is
> extremely difficult to program and implement, I don't know. Perhaps I
> am the only one who would really enjoy and use these functions...
Re (1), sure that makes sense. Re (2) I'm just saying that while adding
this feature to a headless server is do-able (as demonstrated by the
WaveInput plugin), there's likely to be a lot more demand from people
running slimserver on ordinary PCs or workstations, rather than
headless servers, which are often located down in the basement, up in
the attic, or some other out of the way place.

In other words, my point (2) wasn't saying that serving bits from an
optical drive is that different from serving it from a hard drive.
Rather that from a user convenience standpoint a headless server isn't
the best target market. Indeed, many headless servers don't have CD
trays.

--
aubuti