mortslim;255083 Wrote:
> I appreciate the comments of the beta tester who criticized the
> controller.
>
> After the excitement of this announcement passes, and it is time to
> start making informed buying decisions, I appreciate that there are
> well reasoned and intellectually honest evaluations, rather than
> marketing hype.

Well here's one from the other side of the coin. I really like the
controller. The current software is working well, it's _far_ better
than it was even just a couple of months ago. Why is it better than a
PDA, N800 or iPhone with the web interface? I've tried all of these
options and none of them are anywhere near as responsive as the new
controller. None of them are ready to use as soon as you pick them up.
Only the iPhone is even vaguely suitable for one-handed use (and that's
a stretch if you want to enter text). None of them have hard buttons for
play/pause/volume etc.

Web interfaces are great and have many advantages, but for
responsiveness and interactivity nothing beats a native application.
This is an instance where a dedicated device which does just one thing
but does it well is superior to a do-everything device.

> I also agree with the comments by others that a product should be
> evaluated based upon what it can do now, not on what it might be able
> to do in the future if someone develops it.
I disagree here too, it's the potential (and how the potential has
actually been realised historically) that keeps me buying SD products.
Obviously the thing has to do what you want from day 1, but if you know
there's a pretty good chance it will be doing even more soon - why isn't
that a good thing?

--
radish