The real issue is that SD's business model is to give away the server
and charge for the player.  I would guess from a market perspective
that a player is a player and the fact that the SB/Transporter are
probably better audio components is lost on the majority of folks
buying these products.  So, the value is therefore in the server
software which is where the rub is.  SD doesn't charge for the server,
so if they made it DLNA compliant (I'm sure easy enough to do), I could
buy a Roku and use SC for free to control it since the other DLNA server
products in the market stink.  Then SD would be in the business for
free.  The SB/Transporter supporting DLNA probably makes more business
sense for SD because at least they could still sell players - but
clearly it wouldn't make much sense for someone to buy one only to use
it with a DLNA server today - but it could in the future.  In my
opinion, SD can't ignore this issue.  They will probably have to dance
with that devil at some point to stay in the game.   It's risky, but
ignoring it would probably limit their success over the long run.

It would probably be ideal for someone to build a plug-in to provide
DLNA client support off of SC.  That way SC can be the center of a
user's audio streaming world and eventually folks will realize the SD
products give them more functionality than their DLNA product does
which might bring revenue back to SD.  I just bought a TV and an AV
Receiver that both require DLNA, so now I'm evaluating DLNA servers.
SD better have a strategy for integration with DLNA or have tremendous
value add to justify remaining an island IMO.  DLNA has standards and
pictures/video on it's side...I'm sure the servers will improve with
time as well.  I don't necessarily like running a single server for all
(since all implementations get clunky with all of that going one), but
it could become compelling over time.

--
thomsens