Skunk;256596 Wrote:
> I don't see it that way because most audiophiles had the SB3 connected
> to an external DAC anyway. Even a lot of non-audiophiles just connect
> it to a HT receiver, negating the quality of the built in converter.
>
> Comparing the SB3 to Squeezebox Receiver you get the same level of
> jitter on the SPDIF output, the same well implemented digital volume
> control, and the same bit perfect digital passthrough allowing external
> DTS and HDCD decoding, for $150 less. All that and the gold plated
> connectors should make it even more appealing to audiophiles on a
> budget IMO. Real audiophiles should just get a Transporter anyway.

I use an external DAC for my stereo system, but I am not going to make
that kind of investment for multiple rooms in my house. Nor do I need
that level of music in those other rooms. The SB receiver is priced
perfect for multiple rooms, and they could have really improved the DAC
if they had just invested a couple more $ per DAC. But given the DAC
that SD chose, it seems to me that Slim assumes their target customers
primarily listen to lossy compressed music.

--
BetterDAC