> I've reported this a few times now and it's still the case.
> When the Default skin is shown in Firefox, it uses 100% CPU time.

That's no problem as long as we're not talking about _minutes_ (or 20 seconds
for that matter). Any program will take all the resource it can get to get its
job done the fastest possible. The issue is the duration of the process, not
the spike. The first time loading of the page is slow, I have to admit. But
once it's loaded, it's imho much more responsive as the others, as most of the
controls are done without page reloads.

> It's making the new interface unusable for me, and these reports are
> clearly becoming more frequent as more users move to 7.0.

There's even a bug open about this (6625). But I am as much surprised as the
bug reporter that this hasn't been brought up as a "killer" problem before. But
then I don't see it, even on my low power hardware I'm using at home. As I
wrote in a comment to that bug I clearly see the problem when eg. displaying a
page with 200 items. But with the 50 I'm using (might be the default value)
it's just not that much of an issue.

Oh, I checked in a change which (according to Firebug) lowers eg. the load for
highlighting items by about 35%. Please give it a try.

--

Michael