thanks guys - i appreciate your taking time with an (almost)
*deprecated* product (SS 6.x).

in the meanwhile, i discovered some similarities with other "squeezbox
stops" threads:

the boxes usually stop at -0:00 seconds, or the equivalent total song
time. and they stop at the END of the current song, not at the
beginning of the next song. (so do mine)
this symptom has shown up in other threads. while their SBs did not
appear to by synched, there did not seem to be any explanation and/or
solution for it anywhere either.

but mark, you could be right too: i found out that my playlists seem to
contain some kind of junk(?). my "mood groovy" playlist (~750 tracks)
originally was ~85Kbyte large. didnt think anything of it, until i
mistakenly re-saved it from inside winamp and it shrunk to 14Kbyte
(still had ~750 tracks)!

seems to be the tool i use to develop the playlists (it is personal
playlist manager plugin for winamp), always adds some stuff to the
file, which is invisible. (at least in notepad and winamp). maybe that
junk is buggering up SS...

i will do some testing with the new "cleaned" up versions of my
playlists and report back.

--
dcote