Thanks for the suggestions. I will give the Linksys a try. I had a read
of the specs on the repeater function and is appears to effectively
share the wifi bandwidth between incoming (devices to 2nd router) and
outgoing (2nd router to original router) which results in lower
bandwidth. So, although it's an attractive feature, I'm leaning towards
cabling to *somewhere* downstairs (the layout of the house means that
cabling all the way to the kitchen would be pretty hard) and then
putting a Linksys there, which should provide coverage for the
downstairs area.

I am also intrigued by the homeplug solution, but they seem pretty
expensive here in Australia (over $300). I don't know how the homeplugs
work technically: are the likely to differ from one country to another
based on the different voltage/phasing (you can tell I don't know what
I'm talking about!) of the power supply in each country? I suppose what
I'm asking is, would a cheaper set bought online work in Australia?

--
smc2911