peterw;266886 Wrote:
> SqueezeCenter is Open Source (http://www.opensource.org/docs/osd), but
> the Controller software (the top layer, the "Jive" code) is released
> under a very restrictive (IMO) proprietary license. See
> http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?JiveArchitecture -- the Logitech
> Public Source license
> (http://svn.slimdevices.com/trunk/jive/src/pkg/jive/LICENSE?root=Jive&view=markup)
> is what I'm talking about.
>
> For instance, the Logitech Public Source license does not allow me to
> share a modified version directly with anyone other than Logitech, and
> it tries to claim for Logitech the right to knock on my door and demand
> any changes I've made to the Jive software for my own personal use.
>
> The source code for the Controller is available, but it is NOT open
> source.
>
> -Peter

Hrm, ok, I guess I'll have to read the Logitech license a bit more to
understand it.  I had thought it was more of a mozilla-based license.
If your reading of it is right, that sucks a lot more than I thought it
did.  Kinda a shame.

I will disagree on the "Not open source" statement.  The software
source is open, but it's not "Free Software" as the FSF defines it.
There are many examples of "Open Source" applications that require
payment, don't allow modification, etc.  (A number of PHP apps for
example).

--
SuperQ