results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=43198
Question: Do you agree with this posting?

- Yes
- No
- In the middle

I voted "In the middle", the reason being that I don't think we need a
NAS that comes with pre-installed SlimServer, but I do think a small
computer with pre-installed SlimServer would be of some interest. The
difference being that the focus should be on the "computer" part and
not on the "storage/NAS" part.

The only reason we even mention NAS is because it is actually a small
computer, but the problem with most NAS boxes is that they are focused
on storage while they also can act as a computer, but they really
hasn't got enough power/performance to do so in a good way.
SlimServer/SqueezeCenter really needs more performance to give a good
consumer experience.

I think a box that did something like the following would be of some
interest:
- Was able to run SlimServer/SqueezeCenter with satisfying speed, a
guess is that we are talking about a box with at least 256-512MB memory
and maybe 1GHz processor. This is something that almost none of the NAS
boxes have.
- Come with pre-installed/preconfigured SlimServer/SqueezeCenter
- Had a CDROM player and necessary software to allow the consumer to
insert a CD and automatically rip it, tag it and put it on the correct
place in the music library. There already is a third party prototype
plugin in the developers forum that tries to do this.

Now, even though I think a device like this would be of interest, I
really don't want Logitech to focus on making the hardware for such
device. So I think the best solution would be to establish some
partnership with a third party vendor which would provide the box and
Logitech could still just focus on the SlimServer/SqueezeCenter
software part.

However, the main obstacle for this this device to be a success will be
the price.
My guess is that we are talking about a box in a price range a bit
below the Mac Mini. The result would be that this will add maybe $500
to the total price of the SqueezeBox system, making it less price
competitive compared to solutions from other vendors. I think one of
the reasons the SqueezeBox system today feels like pretty cheap is
because most people doesn't calculate the computer price into the price
of the whole system.

Today most people think of the price for a SqueezeBox system like:
- SqueezeBox device ($299-$399)
- Computer ($0, since they already have a computer)
- Amplifier/Speakers ($0, since they already have a amplifier and
speakers)
Total cost: $299-$399

I think one thing that Logitech would like to avoid is to make people
think of the price as:
- SqueezeBox device ($299-$399)
- SqueezeBox Server ($500)
- Amplifier/Speakers ($0, since they already have a amplifier and
speakers)
Total cost: $799-899

So back to pippins question, which no one seems to be willing to
answer:
- What would you be prepared to pay for the device suggested in this
thread

--
erland

Erland Isaksson
'My homepage' (http://erland.homeip.net) 'My download page'
(http://erland.homeip.net/download)
Custom Scan,  Custom Skip, Multi Library and Database Query plugins'
(http://wiki.erland.homeip.net/index.php/Category:SlimServer))