hey phil, of course you can! :-)

why do i use vorbis?
1. because i can. the main reason i bought the squeezeboxes is because
the feature list says they play vorbis natively.
2. i am too lazy to encode my songs twice - lossless for at home and
lossy for on the road. maintaining every track twice is a PITA.
3. some friends of mine and i have ABXed the vorbis files i use
(preferrably gtune3b2 encoded @ q6) vs. wav/flac. we could not reliably
find differences. as a matter of fact, when we tried to find the version
that subjectively sounded best (not which was the original!), the gtune
encoded vorbis came out ahead! no joke. we were astounded ourselves.
4. mp3 needs a lot more bits to sound as good, which we also found by
ABXing. i would need some HQ LAME @ 256 kbit VBR to compete with vorbis
@ q6, which is still ~30% smaller.
5. vorbis is patent-free. i resent the fact that some corporation could
nail me for encoding my music in their proprietary format.
6. my portable player supports vorbis, too. so does my GF's ipod, after
we installed rockbox on it.
7. my server is completely full of hard disks with no further expansion
room. flac would instantly increase my library's size from ~35GB to
~200GB.
8. i use my WLAN for other things sich as mpeg4 playback as well - i
need the bandwidth.

--
dcote