LAME is used to transcode audio to MP3 on the fly for devices like the
old SliMP3 or SqueezeBox 1. Also used in conjunction with remote
streaming (when set up right, you can access
http://<your_ip_address:9000/stream.mp3 from anywhere on the internet).

Unless you have a need to convert things to MP3 (and FLAC is the
default transcode format for the Duet), you don't need to worry about
that setting at all.

sebp;276868 Wrote:
> "Lame Ain't an Mp3 Encoder".
>
> It's used by the server software to convert music files (protected WMA,
> for example) that cannot be handled natively by the Squeezebox to
> something it will play (MP3).
> Thus the quality settings.
DRM protected (or infected if you like) WMA is not supported or
playable my SqueezeCenter, natively or through on the fly transcoding.
And anyway, for transcoding the default is to transcode to FLAC so
there is not generation loss in using lossy codecs for the transcoding.

--
funkstar