Neither am I happy with Apple's tedious proprietary games, to say the
least. But I'm a Mac user and it just happens that iTunes is great and
easy music management application also offering high-quality audio
codecs.

But there is no doubt that Logitech has the resources to support some
further development of alac. Some financial incentives would surely
provide alac's author the needed motivation to polish this fine piece
of software ;)

Btw, I converted all my 24bit files to 16bit with the newly purchased
Amadeus Pro, which was the only software capable of 1. processing Apple
Lossless 24/16bit, 2. batch converting & replacing them in place in
iTunes' music folder, 3. retaining all meta tags, and 4. doing it fast.

--
squeezephil