Fatawan;280158 Wrote:
> Thanks Zaragon--That sounds like an easy enough solution(after I looke
> dt all up :) ). I do have an ethernet port in the theater, AND in the
> equipment room, so I could easily do an access point plus a switch. I
> need more wired connections in the equipment room anyway.

Glad to be of service. I thought I'd mention that a Wireless Access
Point (WAP) isn't a wireless router. So you will need to be a little
careful in your choice.

Although physically they can be identical they have different control
software. Some wireless routers can be configured to be just access
points though. Unfortunately for some reason access points often seem
to be a lot more expensive that wireless routers.

For anyone considering multiple access points/wireless routers. The key
element is the IP address. Unless you manually assign all devices with
their own unique IP address then ideally only one device should be a
DHCP server giving out IP addresses. If there has to be two or more
DHCP servers then ensure that the addresses that they give out do not
overlap each other but that they are all within the same network
address range.

Typical home equipment defaults to using the address range
192.168.0.X/24 or 192.168.1.x/24 (The 24 refers to a simple netmask of
255.255.255.0). This gives a maximum of 254 addresses (since you can't
use .0 or .255 as these are used to broadcast to all devices on the
network). Just ensure that the range of the .X doesn't overlap on any
DHCP server and not fogetting the servers/router's own address.

Using DHCP in general and multiple DHCP in particular means any device
can change it's IP address at any time so you cannot rely upon it for
security or any block/allow filters such as in SqueezeCentre.

--
Zaragon