> But, if you do any signal processing, say scratch elimination, EQ to
> clean up, etc. then wider and higher are justified for intermediate
> steps. Most LPs don't have more than a 80dB signal to noise ratio, so
> wider doesn't gain much. But its easy to record wider, and you can then
> do better dithering.

I agree with the quoted post and its implications for this thread's
originator.

Vinyl was not recorded with the specs that are sought, viz. 24/96.
Although it was originally recorded to analog, and assuming pristine
quality of the master tapes, you are still limited by the fact that the
recording equipment at that time (eons ago in tech years) is nowhere
near the specs being sought.

24/96 of vinyl without any additional editing or processing would only
show up the imperfections of the source material.

I assume the original poster is not intending to do any editing or
processing.  That being the case, not only would nothing be gained by
24/96, it might actually make the original sound worse.

--
mortslim