Converting to Flac needn't be particularly onerous. If you are ripping
from CD doing the Flac encode at that point may only add seconds to the
rip process if you set up the ripper to do it for you.

Transcoding already existing WAV files, I believe that a number of
tools will batch up files so you could just set it going at night and
come back the next morning with about 30-50 percent more disk space.

Disks might be, relatively, cheap and RAID/Backups are good but the
more disks you have the more complicated things become.

In my opinion storing as Flac rather than WAV has advantages, tagging,
size, in-built error checking, and preferred.

--
Zaragon