willyhoops;281409 Wrote:
> At last the days of CD scanning are all over. It will be a great day for
> consumers...

Can't see it myself. Certainly won't be a good day for me and I'm a
consumer. If I lost the device seems like I'd have to pay for the music
all over again. Its like having a CD collection and only one player it
works on. If you want another CD on at the same time you have to go buy
a brand new collection and another player.

I'd much rather buy the CD and rip, or rather buy a FLAC/WAV download
than such a service. In fact I'm not convinced this 'all you can eat'
is a good idea for the music industry.

Their income becomes linked to handset sales which is effectively a
fixed rate. To make more profit the only variable they can play with is
what it costs them to produce the tracks. Seems like more covers and
less original music. Quality also doesn't matter quite so much. In fact
there doesn't seem much incentive at all.

Actually I can't see an economic model there at all it isn't as if a
'hot' new artist is going to see more handsets which is the only way
they'd increase revenue.

I think paid for tracks will be around for a long time. (Though I'm
sure they would lock them to the individual player so you have to buy
them multiple times if they could.)

--
Zaragon