ppmoore;282149 Wrote:

> Since the original post, I've come up with another question. Is there a
> standardised way to classify albums by genre?

You wish...

> I use CDex to rip my CDs, and usually it (or rather CDDB) provides
> different genre classifications for different albums from the same
> artist. For example, the two CDs from Placebo that I have are
> classified as Rock and Alternative.

FreeDB sucks at genres.  Totally arbitrary.  You should be glad it got
close..

> Does anyone know if there is a standard classification for this
> available somewhere?

Welcome to the world of Library Science.  Genres are very much a black
art.

How would you classify, say, Dylan?  Singer-Songwriter?  Folk?  Rock?
Is Singer-Songwriter correct when he is covering an old blues song?  Is
Folk correct for anything past the mid60s?  Is Slow Train Coming a
Gospel album?  What about Saved?

This all gets to be very personal, and SC lets you have multiple genres
(so you can have "Folk;Live;Bootleg" for a track) and you may want to
set Genres at a track level, not an album or artist level...

That said, http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=73:p is at
least an interesting classifacation scheme.  Maybe it will give you
ideas on how you want to structure yours.

Beware, consistent and coherent genres are a very difficult task, very
much akin to Library Science.  You will admire and respect librarians
more for their work in classifying materials.

--
snarlydwarf