I find that this approach only works for me if I have at least one other
album by the artist in question, otherwise the album artist does not
appear in the artist list at all.

For example:

Album: Larry Levan Live at the Paradise Garage
Album Artist: Larry Levan
Compilation: 1

and then each track has a different artist. I have no other albums by
Larry Levan.

Album: On the Floor at the Boutique
Album Artist: Fatboy Slim
Compilation: 1

and then each track has a different artist. I have a number of other
artists by Fatboy Slim.

On the Floor appears under Fatboy Slim when I browse artists for Fatboy
Slim. Larry Levan does not appear anywhere when I browse for artists.

I have settings to Group Compilation Albums together and Group Albums
by Band (I recently switched to using the Albumartist tag rather than
Band for these sorts of albums).

Any suggestions as to how to get Larry Levan (and other similar
examples) to appear in my Artists list would be greatly appreciated!

--
smc2911

http://www.last.fm/user/smc2911/