I've seen multiple copies of CD's many times and always found it was
down to a data error.

I have been adding Album Art via MP3Tag but still using iTunes (for
ripping and editing other data - it's faster and drives my ipod for in
car/at work).

iTunes doesn't seem to relearn from updated tag data unless the track
is highlighted. Unless you carefully highlight every track (or
presumably relearn the iTunes files) it is easy to get misaligned
data.

Typical Data Errors I have been cleaning up are:-

album art missing from a few tracks (typically bonus tracks not on the
on-line database).
Album Title Capitalisation - Squeezecenter differentiates between of
and Of, et. al.
Artist name Capitalisation - same issue as above but less common and
harder to spot.
Punctuation - everyone seems to have a different preferences for
colons, hyphens and semi-colon's
Disc Counts: blank of blank treated differently from 1 of 1.
Genre: matter of opinion.

I've not seen the problem when ripping new CD's, but I'm sure that
there are scenarios depending on tools where the data could get out of
step.

--
DigitalMitch