I have very similar  condition for the red icon issue. But no firmware
update issue.

I also post at this thread
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=44890&page=3

my network configuration is bridge mode , and connect duet box with
wired ethernet.

Sometimes my controller fail to connect to duet box and sqeezeCenter (
usually after a power-off the controller for long time).

I try to press the LED button until the red light is flashing, and
controller let me choose the player "Squeezebox xxxx". Then , I select
to connect to ethernet for the player , and nothing happened to the
duet box but keeping flashing the red light. And the controller just
tell me something like "fail to connect , try again ?" over and over
again.

I can only fix this bug by "Factory reset" the controller , and
everything goes back to its perfect status.

I think there might be software update to solve this bug. The
configuration procedure for the 1st time is much stronger than the
others

--
ETK