I use a Profigold s/pdif cable.
Yesterday I have bought a profigold toslink cable (35 EUR) and the
problems are the same with this cable.
According to Sean’s suggestion I have modified a track via “CoolEdit”
and changed some parts for 10 or 20 seconds “silence”.  Some other
parts I have changed the amplitude to 0%. Visually the results for
“silence” and “0% amplitude” are the same in “CoolEdit”
Via the squeezebox in digital mode during the “silence” periods the
input mode switches to blinking NOLOCK and gives the click at the first
time NOLOCK appears. It stays blinking during the silence period and
changes back to PCM (without a click) at the end of the silence period
and the music is coming back again.
The 0% amplitude parts gave no problems (no click), only the expected
silence for these parts.

--
bloemert