zest;286726 Wrote:
> any luck on this

I finally got SC 7 running on the eMac OSX 10.4.11 is use to serve
music.
Initially I had the problem described earlier- server runing but Web
Access button dim, inactive. No firewall and always installed to all
users. Repaired disk permissions several times.

Later things got worse, server stopped after one minute or so. I tried
to revert to SS 6.5, servers run but can't scan music folder. Stops
after two songs. Tried many reinstalls. Tried to clean out all slim
files and reinstall. Still no go and noticed that some server settings
were retained as noted on another thread, indicating that not all slim
files can be found in Slim folders or searching for "Slim" or
"Squeeze".

Soo, I decided to go back to SC 7 and hope to get a chance to call
support sometime when I am at home during their hours. I first cleaned
all Slim folders and files I could find off the system, and looked for
some playlist files as suggested in another post- .ompl files and any
.plst files that might relate to Slim/Squeeze. I didn't find much
except one .plst file on the desktop that I knew was a radio stream-
deleted it. Also, I had turned off iTunes sharing earlier in the day
before trying yet another install. Then I ran the SC 7 installer one
more time and Bingo! Server and Web Access working just dandy.

I can't say for sure what made a difference- the plst files or turning
itunes sharing off or ??? I have since turned iTunes sharing back on
and things are ok.

I like SC 7, and would say that you may find it worth your while to get
things sorted out with support. I think it refreshes much faster than
6.5. It makes integration with iTunes much faster. Has browse buttons
to locate music and iTunes files- really nice if you have your tunes on
an outboard drive as I do. It provides scan progress info, so you aren't
left wondering if its doing anything, like on 6.5, and how far its
getting through a long scan.

Thanks for everybody's input and Good Luck!

John

--
jln252