I don't use my iPod much as I find I don't like to go around with
things stuck in my ears. However, my wife uses hers a lot and seem to
like it quite well. I never hear her complain about  iTunes and she
seems to do quite well managing her media. I'll let her know about the
bloated player-organizer and see if she cares. I don't think she's
even aware of DRM, bit rates and changing firmware. She has never
voiced any concerns to me about "open source" issues. She also made
the switch from her Toshiba laptop to a Mac about three years ago.
Complaining has decreased even though she seems to use it much more
that she used the Toshiba. I'm personally benefitting as my time spent
troubleshooting laptop problems has dropped significantly. I think she
gets it!

-- Scott --