kdf;290116 Wrote:
> > i don't think it has ANYTHING to do with mapping.  TPE2 is SC7
> internal
> > tag BAND period.  and no current option affects that.  it currently
> only
> > affects how things are denoted when displayed.
>
> correct.

thx for helping with this.

kdf;290116 Wrote:
> The pref, 'useBandAsAlbumArtist' is only used in one place in
> the code.  When the $album->artists are requested, setting this option
> means you get the BAND in the album listing "ThisAlbum by BAND (20xx)".
>
> It has no other internal use aside from being in the list of
> contributors.

so what you are saying is "list albums by band" is in the code as
'useBandAsAlbumArtist' but only for the one purpose of denoting the
Band field (instead of ALBUMARTIST) when displayed on a webpage.

right?

and other than that, BAND is just another "contributor" field one could
use for searching.

right?

kdf;290116 Wrote:
> If you want BAND to have a different purpose, such as the ALBUMARTIST
> you
> could add it to the %tagMapping in Formats::MP3.

ok, good to know, but what i really want is for slim to provide the
option to conform to the market reality and defacto standard.  besides,
i update slim a lot and don't want to edit that every time.

kdf;290116 Wrote:
> I don't personally use BAND tags, but based on that pref's use in the
> code, it works as advertised.

i don't disagree it works as the code would have it work, i do question
though what purpose there is [for mp3 users without user defined tags]
in displaying the BAND field without also sorting by it.

kdf;290116 Wrote:
> However, it wouldn't take too much to
> convince me that the wording in that pref is somewhat confusing.
> Primarily, the mention of "album artist" would tend to increase the
> odds
> of confusion.

indeed.

i think elimination of the word 'list,' using 'denote' instead, and
rewriting the explanation to what i put would be a very positive change
in the right direction.  it may not be perfect, but its a lot better.

kdf;290116 Wrote:
> Thing is, Album Artist is not the same thing as Band.  Album Artist, as
> mentioned before is a single performer name for an entire album,
> things
> like "Original Cast of the Motion Picture", "People I've seen at the
> Commodore" or "Various Artists".  Band is a performer of a track, like
> referring to Rush instead of Peart, Lee & Lifeson.

agreed.

kdf;290116 Wrote:
> SC does not use BAND in any context of VA/compilation handling, except
> perhaps allow you to decide what is shown in the listing.

if you mean how it is denoted, you are correct.

kdf;290116 Wrote:
> See
> Slim::Schema::Album::artists().  Only 4 places call this function:
> AlbumQuery (for CLI), TitleFormatter (for formatted song string),
> BrowsedbItemName (for playerUI browsing), and displayAsHTML (for web
> ui
> album lists).
>
> -kdf

thats beyond me, but i believe you.

--
MrSinatra

www.LION-Radio.org
Using:
Squeezebox2 (primary) / SBR (secondary) / Jive - w/SC 7.0.1beta - Win
XP Pro SP2 - 3.2ghz / 2gig ram - D-Link DIR-655