I did some extensive testing today and I hope I'm doing something wrong
but my finding is that my old Yamaha CDC-585 is significantly better
sounding :(

Ok so here is what I've done to test my SB3. I took a couple CDs and
ripped them with CDEX 1.51 and then encoded them as Flac using the Flac
Frontend program.

I pulled out my Audiocontrol SA3051 meter and set the song volume to
80db for the CD player and the Squeezebox (volume on the SB was set to
80%).

Speakers are Celestion DL8 which are pretty old but I like the way they
sound. Amp is a Threshold SA3 and the Pre is a Rotel model from years
back.

Anyway I find the SB3 to be kind of flat and lifeless compared to the
CD. I honestly was not expecting to hear a difference but my excitement
quickly turned to dissapointment.

....so is there anything I might be doing wrong during the ripping or
encoding? Yamaha CD players are not exactly high end or anything....is
it wrong of me to compare the SB3 to a CD player?  Could the CD player
be a better match to my preamp's input section maybe?   CD's I used by
the way were Enya and Jack Johnson

Any suggestions welcome.

--
svtcontour