>Not true. It displays as "Album by Artist", what the internal
>representation of this is I don't care.

That image is a picture of iTunes - what relevance has that to the content of
your SqueezeCenter library?

Out of curiosity, what version of iTunes do you use?  I have v7.6.2.9 which
allows the user to show "Artist", "Album Artist" and/or "Sort Album Artist".  I
can't see an "Album by Artist" column like yours.  Either way, whenever you see
"album artist" in iTunes, for mp3 files it's actually the Band tag that it is
stored in, due to it mis-using that tag.

Album Artist is the column title that you can see in the grid, and it groups
songs in the list by that when in "album view" display mode, but that's about
all that iTunes will do with it.  eg. if you set an album artist, it won't
appear in the artist filter.  Only the content of artists appears in the list,
and you get all artists even if they only appear on one song in a compilation.

So in iTunes if you have an album with songs by different artists, and set it
as not a compilation album and set an "album artist" (really this is band),
then that band will not appear in the list of artists.

SqueezeCenter is much more intelligent and conformant to standards.  I dare say
that something will be changed to allow it to work in a non-standard way to
make it act like iTunes.