mikeselectricstuff;295399 Wrote:
> It may not be realistic to get a particularly meaningful figure, as a
> dBm figure  would imply some degree of accuracy in the hardware that
> does the measurement.
> In practice, component tolerances etc. mean that the figure may vary
> significantly from unit to unit for a given signal strength, and there
> is almost certainly a not-easily definable transfer function between
> the percentage and a nominal dBm figure as the measuring hardware is
> only designed to provide a rough figure.

I don't see the correlation between unit of measurement and degree of
accuracy.  Somewhere in the code it must convert from dBm to %.  The
percentage can't just magically appear, it must be calculated
somewhere.  At the very least I'd be interested to find out what the SB
considers to be perfect signal strength.

That fact that wireless networking is primarily composed of black magic
and variables out of anyone's control is irrelevant.  I.e. I want to
know if I set two SB's next to each other and they each get different
signal strengths.  And I will know that now, it's just presented as a
percentage instead of dBm that I'm used to working with (i.e. unit of
measurement doesn't matter).

Thanks,
Jim

--