tyler_durden wrote:
> peter;295375 Wrote:
>
>> tyler_durden wrote:[color=blue]
>> There's no DRM in ALAC files. There are open source ALAC decoders (like
>>
>> the one Squeezebox uses) that can be used to convert ALAC back to WAV
>> and then WAV back to FLAC. All conversions are lossless so you lose
>> nothing. With lossy codecs you're more or less trapped because any
>> conversion makes you lose quality.
>>

> There may be open source decoders, but that only means someone has
> figured out how to extract the audio from the files.  It doesn't tell
> you what Apple has put into them.  I may be paranoid but my experience
> and the experience of others convinces me that it is better to be a
> little paranoid than to trust corporations to take care of you.

If you have a file and an open source decoder today there is no way that
Apple, MS or the KGB or the Illuminati can ever remotely change things
so that that decoder can no longer decode the file, short of breaking
into your system and deleting your stuff. That's the advantage of open
source. You're being a little too paranoid here. ;)

Regards,
Peter