adamslim;298743 Wrote:
> I use the (default) dynamic tags system, using custom scan to scan in
> additional tags.  This gives me what I want (which actually does not
> directly sort out the problem, but would, I think, if you tagged your
> files appropriately).
>
> Have you seen erland's wiki?
> http://wiki.erland.homeip.net/index.php/Setup:_Add_browse_menus_and_information_for_classical_music_to_SlimServer
>
> Edit: it solves the OP's problem.  Your issue re unpredictability of
> various artists is more complex.  I would suggest having artist and
> 'otherartist' tags, with multiple values allowed for each, although you
> would need to set up a browse menu that matched either, not just one,
> and the whole sorting thing would be a nightmare too.

Yes, but Custom Browse and Custom Scan are so powerful it typically
let's my head spin ;-)

I also don't have the time and patience to tag all my stuff by hand,
haven't even finished to put all the cover art into the tags correctly,
another pain in the ass, they are all fine in iTunes but single tracks
still lack coverage in SC...
What I would like to see if the tags from iTunes get imported and used
correctly. I'm not too obsessed with quality (I just bought a Bose
system for a second room just to find it's still way inferior to my 20
year old main setup with a low-priced amp and those fine Canton 3-way
speakers) so I sample at least my pop stuff with iTunes to 192kBit mp3.
That way I will typically have an artist for every track and if there
are multiple tracks there's also an albumartist. Some  albums have the
latter in the TPE2 tag (back in the old days I used musicmatch until it
ceased working and started generating crap).

So if I could get this to work in the way I mentioned above I'm
completely happy.

--
pippin

---