> I'm very excited about the SB3/SqueezeCenter approach

the sb3 is a fantastic product indeed - i beyond love the concept: it
combines awesome convenience with the ability to tailor sound quality
to one's preference and budget...

> ... connector that goes into the SB3 however seems a bit flaky
> ... Is anybody else having that?

i own 3 SB3s and built quality has always been excellent.

> ... optical out, its seems that the receptacle does not allow for a
very
> snug fit...  digital signal looses sync ...

i have never seen that, all of mine have a very good fit despite the
fact i have reconfigured them and taken cables in and out (incl
optical) with regularity. i could not live with that, and would
exchange the box.

> ... sound quality of the headphones output really so different
compared to
> the normal line out?

personally i find the headphone sound quality very compromised, whereas
the line out is quite amazing for a device in this price range. so in
one of my SB3s i use a headphone amplifier off the line out, and find
the sound *much* superior compared to the headphone connector.

--
pablolie