So did I.  I think it is the change someone asked for a few weeks ago
that keeps better track of what you have really read.  (Ie, it used to
be "you were last here at 8:12am, so these are the threads with content
newer than that.)  That sort of got annoying if you checked for new,
then took a shower in the am, and found it decided "okay, you've taken
long enough, everything must be read now".

Tho it scared me last night to see 20 pages of unread stuff..

Use the 'Quick Links' to mark things read when you have read all that
you are interested in reading, so the threads you skipped will get
marked and will drop off your list until they get a new post.

--
snarlydwarf