pfarrell;302300 Wrote:
> pski wrote:
> > I see we can take screen shots and save logs but are there any other
> > practical uses? (Non-development...)
>
> The controller code is written in Lua, designed for extensions.
> The sky is the limit. It might be a nice place to cache album cover
> images, remember preferences or rankings.
>
> In theory, you could put a few seconds of audio in it for each album,
> and have audile prompting as you scroll...
>
> 2GB cards are really dirt cheap, there was a time when 2GB was a lot of
>
> storage. It can be used for anything.
> --
> Pat Farrell
> http://www.pfarrell.com/

Given that album covers load in under a second on my Controller I'm not
sure we really need any extra caching there.

The few album audio preview is an interesting idea, but again my player
can start playing music the normal way with a few tenths of a second
when playing back the normal way, so I'm not convinced that even if you
were implementing that you would need any caching.

As to preferences and ranking, if the Controller is connected to the
server then the server is the right place to store those. If it isn't
connected the the server then it is pretty much dead in the water...

Most of the things that it would make sense to cache (that might not
already be cached) are relatively small bits of data. Given that my
Controller has something like 24MB of RAM free that would be the best
place to cache anything like that.

--
andynormancx