I'm experiencing the following problem when upgrading from 7.0 to 7.0.1

After I've installed 7.0.1 and rebooted my pc, I open SC and it tells
me that my players firmware must be upgraded.
I go to the player and the player says press and hold the brightness
button to upgrade the firmware.
I press and hold the brightness button and hold it and hold it and hold
it and continue holding it and hold it some more, well  you get the
picture.
I can't upgrade the players firmware.
The player freezes.
I end up pulling the power plug from the unit and then placing it back
in and starting the process over again.  I get the same results.

So I went back to 7.0

I'm running winxp sp3
SC 7.0

Can someone help me with this issue?