Guys,

Thank you very much for the info and wisdom. I've forwarded and
discussed with my friends at the computer store.

Pat; I'm taking your suggestion about the hardware controller. Was a
bit surprised by my retailer's advice that I then needed a spare
controller as a backup, the logic being that if the controller goes bad
the same model's firmware is needed. Oh well, another hundred bucks but
it makes sense. I'm going to load Ubuntu on my daughter's old laptop
and stress the poor thing (the PC, not my daughter) as a learning
project.

Bob; I'm on Big Island. a kw/hr here is $.3752 and rising monthly.
There are tax credits for solar but just for heating water. I have a
few neighbors "off the grid" but all appliances and electronics they
buy has to be 12 volt. There are more modern 117v systems but no one I
know can afford them.

As far as being jealous, location is always a trade off. I dream of
visiting a Fry's or being able to buy a shirt that doesn't have flowers
or say "Hawaii" on it. Our only concerts are by has-been rock acts. I'd
kill for good Mexican food and our lack of radio stations is what got
me to start such a silly-big music collection when hard drives got
large enough to make it practical and there wasn't yet internet radio.

While there's now a "Tech-Center" on Maui, you're still probably
unemployable here but now there are lots of guys who telecommute to the
mainland and Asia.

--
Harry G