jsa307;310322 Wrote:
> I'm new to streaming digital media, but was thinking about purchasing a
> squeezebox. After reading about it, one of the only downsides seems to
> be lack of support for 802.11n networking. Are there any squeezebox
> alternatives that support 802.11n? Is the squeezebox still the way to
> go? Everything else I've read about it seems to be great ..
>
> Thanks!

There is no support for 802.11N anywhere! Each company is using their
own version of the future possible Standard (read 802.11N is not yet a
Standard). One company's "N" router works with another company's "N"
card only because both fall back to 802.11G! At this time if one wants
to run "N", I strongly recommend buying all the same brand WiFi (like a
Linksys router and wireless NIC). This is currently why Slim Devices
only uses "G". If one has an "N" router already, the Transporter, SB3,
and Duet will work with it fine because the Router will fall back to
"G".

As far as going with another Network Media Player, be my guest. This is
the Slim Devices Forum and most folks here are going to tell you to get
a Squeezebox. It is a better unit and less money. You are not keyholed
into using an amp that is in the box plus you can use any computer as
your server (or build your own if you know what I mean). ROKU is crap
(I gave mine away, not even bothering to list it on EBAY). The Sonos is
expensive. And in my opinion, have you all boxed in with what you can do
and can't do. And they have no Plugins. The Squeezebox is a much better
value and has so many possibilities. For the price of a full base Sonos
setup $999, you can buy a complete five room setup with a Duet and four
receivers! And you get to choose the amps and speakers.

These are hard choices picking between these two systems. Squeezebox
being a better value, more flexible, the Plugins (check the WiKi), and
open source makes it an easier choice in my book and in my experience.

--
iPhone

*iPhone*
'Last.FM' (http://www.last.fm/user/mephone)
Media Room:
Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono Blocks,
Vandersteen Quatro, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, VCC-5 Reference
Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1

Living Room:

Bedroom: SB3, NAD C370, Thiel 2.3
Home Office: SB3, Parasound Vamp v.3, VSM-1 Sigs
Mobile: SB3, Audioengine A5