I have D2 for over a year already and I have yet to find a similar size
portable DAP with better sound quality. The user interface is not the
best, but it is very fast. Firmware updates are released frequently,
but they add useless features and fail to fix some long-existing tags
and playlist bugs. My main complain is that multiple Playlists support
is non-existent, if like me, you connect your D2 using MSC to avoid
dealing with any DRM issues. If you connect the player using MTP you
get "some" Playlist support, but you have to deal with DRM. There is a
single Dynamic Playlist (DPL) that works while connected via MSC/MTP.
The D2 also has an external SD slot that allows one to add additional
storage to grow your portable library using SDHC cards. I paired my D2
with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro IEMs and I'm very happy with the
sound of this combination. At the time of my purchase I tested several
"portable" DAPs and none came close to matching the quality of sound of
the D2 or its battery life. I have a total of 20GB in my D2 (4GB
internal and 16GB in a SDHC card) It is a compact player that supports
a wide variety of audio (lossy & lossless) formats and also supports
video. I find that using lossless formats is a bit of "overkill" for
compact DAPs that have a limited amount of storage. When I travel I
like to have as much music (variety) with me as possible. Using
lossless format with the current storage limitation of
compact-flash-based DAPs would greatly diminish the amount of tracks
that I can carry with me. My main library for use for my home stereo
system is lossless (FLAC). I used dBpowerAMP batch converter using the
latest LAME encoder to build a secondary (portable) MP3 libray from my
FLAC library. The dBpowerAMP batch converter is flexible, easy to use
and on Dual Core computer is very fast. Select all the songs you want
to convert, click convert and walk away. I set Lame to convert using
Quality (VRB) -V2 "standard". I'm very happy with the number of MP3
tracks I can fit in my D2 and with the quality of sound resulting using
the LAME encoder settings above.

--
tamanaco