1TB, I'm impressed.  I've still not broken the 500GB barrier, currently
on one external drive, and I think at this point storage availability
will always outstrip my ability to fill it.  However, back when drives
were smaller and more expensive, I had to span my collection across
multiple drives.  I'd split my collection alphabetically among the
drives.  As I ran out of space, I would replace the smallest drive in
the set with a new one.  In my last setup, I think I had a 320G, 200G,
and 160G.  This was something of a pain, but I was not willing to spend
the money on a single drive to hold the whole collection until last
summer.

This was all in FreeBSD, so I was able to have my actual music folder
be just a directory of soft links to the actual artist directories on
the music drives.  This was nice because when browsing the music folder
it was as if I had one big drive (at the expense of having to maintain
the soft links).  It sounds like you're in Windows, and I don't think
it has such facilities available.  If you did something like this using
Windows I think you'd just have shortcuts to the two (or three) music
folders on the different drives, so your main music folder would look
like this:

A-M (drive 1)
N-Z (drive 2)

Or you could wait for 2TB drives to come out.

--
eq72521