Aztek,
The exact same thing happened to my SB3 a week ago. Cold, no display
but red LED on in the little square optical link on the back.
So, after trying all the same things that people suggested for you I
reluctantly unscrewed the back and measured the volts with my trusty
meter - only 3.87, should be 5.00 indicating that the little switch
mode PSU had semi failed.
I plugged in a PSU from my second SB3 and all worked again.
I'm now down to one SB3 until I build a new 5 volt power supply as
buying a replacement unit in Australia is impossible.
My advice then is to try and borrow a PSU from another SB3 to see if
your SB3 is still OK - if you cannot borrow a PSU, then take it to your
local Electronics shop and ask them to test the PSU - it should be able
to supply 5 volts at 2 amps, they should also be able to rig up a 5
volt supply to test the SB3.

--
Wirrunna

A camel is a racehorse designed by a committee.