...for iTunes to make separate playlist files. I didn't know it did
that. I guess on the Mac it just keeps them in its native Library file,
which is gibberish if opened in a text editor.

As you describe, the XML file opens with descriptions of the playlists
that reference the included tracks by number. And if I find the entry
for the track number, it has the correct path statement. I can play the
track if I navigate to it in SqueezeCenter via artist name or album
name; it's just that the playlist shows up empty.

But I've just noticed that the list of playlists in SqueezeCenter isn't
right. I've changed the name of one playlist in iTunes, but even though
since then I've run "Clear Library and Rescan Everything" more than
once, the old name keeps showing up in SqueezeCenter. So it seems like
my real problem is that I can't get SC to truly read in my playlist
info.

--
wakey