First of all thank you for all your help. To answer your questions and
to provide some additional information:

- I have no AV or Firewall applications running

- I completely disabled the Firewall (set it to "Allow All Incoming
Connections" but that did not change anything.

- I used the following reccomendation with regards to Firewall and Mac
OS 10.5:

"Macintosh OS X 10.5 (Leopard):
Open System Preferences > Security and click “Firewall”
Click “Set Access for specific services and applications”
Click “Show All” at the top to view all your preferences, and then
click SqueezeCenter.
If your server is currently running, click “Stop Server”.
Next, click “Start Server”.
You will get a series of confirmations from your firewall asking if you
want to allow access.  Click “Allow” for each.  (the dialogs will refer
to “perl” and “mDNSResponderPosix”.)"

- I "Allowed" Perl but never received a request for
“mDNSResponderPosix”

- I removed other accounts on the MacBook so I am the only user

- I cleaned installed SC 7.1

- I repaired disc permissions and rebooted

Unfortunately, I still have the problem. Squeezecenter looks as if it
is starting but then suddenly stops.

Can the fact that I never received a request in the Firewall
application to allow “mDNSResponderPosix” be the reason?

Thanks

--
stockholmbeijing