reasonable enough.
here is the situation:

I have a duet controller and receiver working fine in wireless mode
using either squeeze network or squeeze center.

i want to use the receiver as a bridge and on the receiver side, place
either my NAS or initially a wired print print server.

i connect the cable between the print server and the receiver. hold
down the button on the front until it blinks read.  after booting up
receiver ethernet lights up orange with blinking green.  same with
print server.

i ping the receiver, everything is fine.
i ping the print server, no response.  if i move the print server and
ping it on a wired connection, it works.  print server has a fixed ip
on the same top three ip segments (xxx.xxx.xxx.ip)

also, after the early mentioned rebooting of the receiver and using the
controller to re-setup the receiver, thecontroller gives me the option
of a wireless or Ethernet connection, which it does not normally do if
nothing is plugged into the receiver's Ethernet socket.

so, i believe that the receiver sees the print server, and establishes
a valid Ethernet connection to it, regardless of the use of a crossover
cable.  I also believe that the print server is not 'bridged' onto my
wireless network, though the receiver clearly is.  thus the bridge
connection is not working.

so, i go a'googling to see what i can learn, and hidden among the
thousands of reviews touting the bridging feature, i find a few pages
about a program called something like net:udp that a few people are
discussing as a way to 'turn on' the bridging feature.  this is a perl
shell program, whatever that is, that some fearless person has
developed to get this working.  i try to install perl on my computer
which seems to work, but am less than ignorant about it.  i find a few
perl scripts on the net:udp program site and down load them and try to
"run" them.  i have no clue what i am doing and i can not get it
working, and am thus frustrated.  regardless, i am not really happy
about having to learn perl when this feature ought to be automatic, or
at least easily turned on via the controller or squeezecenter.

thanks for your speedy response,and thanks for reading through to the
end of my long post. at some other time i will re-install perl and
regenerate the error messages and seek help.  hopefully this setting
will be user accessible before i end up doing that again.

john

--
johndewey