This is really good that we are discussing this, because it needs to be
discussed. I think we all agree that it is best if we start out simple
because it will be easier to explain and much more transparent.

I think the solutions that have been thought are really good and we will
need to decide on something simple to start and then adjust to more
complexity as the site gains more users.

I would just like to suggest another solution:

1 pledge = minimum + minimum_matched (+ any extra the user wishes to donate)

That means that patrons can easily donate as much as they want. The
extra that they donate is not matched and does not affect pledging. A
pledge is a pledge. Every pledge is matched and it doesn't create a
problem if people want to be really generous.

I don't believe that people who want to donate more than minimum are
driven by the desire of being matched by 100s or 1000s of people. I
believe that 99% of potential double-pledging will be from people
receiving the money. (and I don't believe there are going to be many
people who are greedy AND working on FLO projects at the same time).
However, all of this is based on speculation so we really need to do
testing.

Maybe patrons need to have the extra incentive of having more matching
or maybe not, but this is simple to implement and allows us to more
easily incorporate the formula [/w/en/formula] as we go.

I don't think we should design so much of the system based on preventing
double-pledging. There are a lot of ways we can prevent it. But I really
don't believe people will be motivated to turn their $6 into $18 for
someone else when they can already turn their $3 into someone else's $9.
Maybe I'm completely wrong, but I think we need to test it against the
real world and then revise. I'm not saying that my idea is the right way
to go (I have no evidence), but I am strongly suggesting that we choose
something simple to begin with and then make it more complex later.

:)
Jacob